Thursday, June 18, 2015

squares and shapes

My bread-less and sugar-less days are over, but the weirdest thing happened. I don't crave bread or sugar and my body is so used to it that when I look at bread, I think "eh it looks good, but I'm going to get a salad instead"
WHAT HAVE I BECOME?
Either it's the initiation of being 22 or the detox actually worked.
Bread doesn't consume me and I don't consume it. And all the sugary stuff I couldn't eat....well I haven't had a doughnut, not even a sliver of one.
Not even a sliver of the bread and mini-cakes that I made. One bread being from a Paula Deen recipe that required no butter but a pack ton of sugar (Yes you read that right, no butter, but two cups of sugar) and the other was from a cookbook named "The Cake Bible" and yes, you read that right.

Paula Deen's No-butter but packed-ton sugar chocolate bread
2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat in milk, oil, eggs and vanilla with electric mixer at low speed until all ingredients are combined.
Pour in batter evenly into sprayed loaf pans.
If using a 9x5 loaf pan, bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
If using mini-loaf pans, bake for 20-25 minutes.


Mini-Bundt White Almond Cake
1 box of white cake mix
1 1/3 cups of water
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 large eggs
3 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 350F.
Place cake mix, water, oil, eggs in a large bowl, and mix well with a beater, whisk or spatula. Add almond extract and mix well one last time.
Pour them equally into mini-bundt pans, cupcake tins or a loaf pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or longer if using a loaf pan or until cake is cooked.

Admire the shapes of the pastries, eat a tiny tiny tiny bite to test taste and wonder how you perfected shapes in baking but never perfected them in Geometry.
Ugh, if this was part of Geometry sophomore year of high school, I would get an easy A instead of struggling to write proofs or finding the diameter of a rhumbus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment