Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Day 5 of #datbreadlesslifedoe

Day five and I'm going strong....sort of. On the outside, I look like I'm a strong capable 21-year-old that can live without bread and sugar, on the inside, I'm dying inside. Everything I see around me consists of some sort of bread and packed with a lot of sugar.
Ugh, America.
It didn't help that on Friday morning I went grocery shopping for my mom at 8 a.m either. The shopping part was easy, knowing exactly what my mom gets and staying under budget. What didn't help was that at 9 a.m. the entire Safeway started to smell like doughnuts.
Like chocolate glazed doughnuts.
Ugh, torture, just pure torture. I had only had a cup of coffee as I had to take my mom to work so the thought of a delicious chocolate doughnut just had me drooling.
Day five became difficult, I wanted to cave, I wanted a doughnut.
Ugh, you're killing me Safeway.

But I overcame the doughnut craving and busted out of that Safeway as fast as I could and made my usual morning smoothie with a banana.

Morning Smoothie Bowl
1/2 cup of water or 3/4 cup depending on how thick you like it
1/2 cup of cranberries
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup of almond milk
1 tbs of hemp seeds
1 tbs of pumpkin seeds
1 tbs of chia seeds
1 quarter of avocado
1 tbs of almond butter
1 tbs of coconut butter

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until all ingredients are incorporated together.
Pour into tall glass or bowl and top with bananas.

Survived the doughnut smell and craving and treated myself to this smoothie bowl and watching They  Came Together with Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd, which if you have seen Parks & Recreation or any Paul Rudd movies, then you will understand this movie, if not then it will confuse you and think it's the weirdest movie ever.
It's not, it's amazing and hilarious and I love Poehler and Rudd both. 

It was even better when I mastered lunch to perfection and completely forgot about the doughnut smell.

Egg in Pepper with Bacon wrapped Avocado (<-- yes you read that right)
1/2 hass avocado-sliced
3 slices of bacon- cut in half
1 egg
1 slice of bell pepper
mixed greens

Preheat oven to 425F and cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Slice the avocado and place on cookie sheet rack. Take the bacon (uncooked) and cut in half and wrap the slices around the avocado. Drizzle olive oil and pepper onto the avocado slices and stick in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until bacon is cooked.
Preheat stove to medium-high heat and drizzle pan with olive oil.
Meanwhile take a bell pepper and cut horizontally, take out the inside of the pepper and cut one slice. Place bell pepper on stove and crack the egg onto the stove, some egg white may spill out but just separate from the pepper.
Cook until egg is fully cooked (the bottom is a crispy brown and the egg white is not runny).
On a plate, place mixed greens and carefully lay the egg-in-pepper on top and take bacon wrapped avocado and place around the egg.
Eat, savor the avocado bacon goodness and enjoy a savory lunch and completely forget about the doughnut from that morning.


Despite forgetting the doughnut, I had to bake scones for a family member who my mom and I were visiting and help babysit.
They were gluten free and semi-vegan, and by semi-vegan I mean that the only vegan ingredient that was in the scones was vegan butter.
I try and give as much credit as I can.

Gluten Free (Semi-Vegan) Raspberry Scones
2 cups of gluten free flour
1/3 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of vegan butter
3/4 cup of whipping cream

Preheat oven to 400F.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut butter and mix with flour mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the whipping cream and mix until dough holds together. Stir in the raspberries.
Lightly flour a flat surface and place dough on it and knead the dough 5-7 times until it is smooth. Divide the dough into four pieces and cut into triangular pieces and place on a sprayed cookie sheet.
Bake for 9-11 minutes.

Scones are not pictured as they didn't rise like normal looking scones....okay I forgot, but the not rising part was true.


Dinner:
Friday night and with the lack of motivation to cook and with my mom being out in the city with her friends, my dad and I went to BJ's in Concord to have dinner together. 
Now on the way there I looked up their menu to see if they had any gluten-free items or I would be entirely screwed if they didn't. Also googling "BJs" is the most awkward thing ever, I had to google "BJs menu" in order to save my eyes from any graphic or phallic images. 
I was safe. 
Luckily, BJ's did have a gluten free menu and I was able to order a pizza with gluten free crust. Ugh, I missed you pizza. 
I also kind-of-sort-of-unintentionally- cheated at dessert, but let's be real, I didn't want to pull another Cheesecake Factory and go to BJs and not get a pazookie. Like you just don't do that and they even had a gluten free pazookie...so yeah, whatever don't judge me. Besides I didn't eat any ice cream, my dad ate it all and I picked at the cookie where there was no ice cream, and the cookie was small so technically I had like four bites of a cookie, so it wasn't entirely that bad. 
Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment