Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 1 of #datbreadlesslifedoe

About a week into me living at home after college, my mother insisted that I do a 10-day no bread and sugar detox diet since I stuffed my face with my own cooking and questionable meat on-campus, also sandwiches...lots and lots of sandwiches.
I was questionable about no bread and sugar for 10 days as it's me and I love anything sweet and bready, but after much arguments I decided to do it. I'm on Day 6 as of today, and will be logging and telling my journey of the past couple days until the last day which will end on my 22nd birthday.
No bread or sugar for 10 days....let's see how it goes


Day #1
The day started at 6AM when I woke up to take care of my one-year-old cousin with my mom and head to downtown Walnut Creek.
My morning started off with a smoothie of water, frozen cranberries, frozen blueberries, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, avocado, almond butter, coconut butter and almond milk and blended together into a bowl topped with bananas. The coldness of the smoothie gives you a shock in the morning but with the balance of the warm cup of coffee, helps*.
*Note: The original detox says to give up caffeine..but the person who created the detox clearly has not met me without coffee, so I stick with coffee and rebel a little.
Note the 6AM filter

The smoothie lasted me until 12PM lunchtime and that's when the detox kicked in.
Did you know that sugar and bread are in everything? LIKE EVERYTHING?!?!?!
Ugh, it was incredibly frustrating not getting my usual chicken club sandwich at The Cheesecake Factory and flipping past the pages as to not break my heart. But thank the baby jesus that a restaurant like The Cheesecake Factory offers multiple options other than just cheesecake and sandwiches. I ended up getting a tuna salad with wasabi dressing and no cheesecake, which mind you at The Cheesecake Factory is really hard to do.
I think it was the first time I had ever gone to The Cheesecake Factory and NOT gotten a cheesecake.
It was a weird experience. 
The day went easier and I wasn't starving, until dinnertime.
Originally planned to have dinner at home, my uncle invited us to an Italian restaurant in Martinez for dinner. Not wanting to be picky and declare my detox diet I just started, I nodded my head and just thought I would figure out how I would find a bread-less, sugar-less and dairy-less meal at an Italian restaurant (oh, yeah I'm also cutting down on dairy as I'm getting old and can't drink milk like a used to).
Through much contemplation, I picked a shrimp dish with a white wine sauce with potatoes and vegetables. It was one of five items on the menu that did not have bread, sugar or dairy, the other four were the salads on the menu. 
Being on this detox diet at an Italian restaurant mind you, is incredibly difficult, bread is served on the table before the main course and I just stared at it as my great-aunt and uncle and uncle and son ate it. It was like I was eating the bread, but not really. It was incredibly difficult when dessert came and everyone was offering me a piece of their dessert and I had to deny it, which is a rarity in itself for me. My great-uncle knew something was up, he was questioning my rejection to the creme brûlée. WHY WOULD I DENY SUCH A CREME BRULEE? 
Then my great-aunt insisted I had some. I couldn't contain myself....I couldn't sit there and contain my silence. Ugh, it was such a suffering.
I'M GIVING UP DAIRY THAT'SWHYICANTHAVEDESSERT! I finally stated. 
I mean it was true, I am giving up dairy, I just left the bread and sugar out to not make things complicated or make them feel bad that they chose an Italian restaurant where everything is majority bread, sugar and dairy. 
They accepted my statement and had a 10 minute conversation about dairy and gluten allergies. I was at peace and the creme brûlée wasn't staring at me or calling my name.
I was at peace with this detox and didn't go to bed hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment