Wednesday, April 8, 2015

veggie/fruit spotlight: i say toe-may-toe

On this fruit/veggie segment, I present to you the red food that has many people confused on its label and debates on its pronunciation.
The tomato or toe-mah-toe.
I personally have never liked tomatoes. I'm not sure why. Part of me thinks its because the middle part of the tomato freaks me out. Like it's gooey and sometimes the peel of the tomato gets stuck and I end up with a string of tomato peel hanging out of my mouth and I gag.
I almost gagged just having that image in my head.
I have tried to like tomatoes. I really have. Every year I tell myself that it's the year that I am going to like tomatoes and every year I don't.
I hope to someday be the type of person who can eat a tomato like an apple and not gag, but I don't think that will happen.
I can say that I can have it with sandwich and chop them into pieces in my salad, but I have to eat them with something, not on their own to avoid the gagging.
It's quite a relationship, the tomato and I. It's probably the only relationship that I have been on and off multiple times.
But when the time finally comes and I fall in love with tomatoes and all its juiciness just as it is and don't need a piece of spinach or bread to help me out.
So while I deal with the complicated relationship with tomatoes, here are some facts about tomatoes.

Fun Facts about Tomatoes
-They have an excellent amount of Vitamin C and betacarotene (I have no idea what that is, I'm sorry).
-They have a good amount of Vitamin E and manganese.
-Tomatoes reduce the risk of heart disease and supports bone health.
-Tomatoes reduce the risk of neurological diseases and reduce the risk of obesity.


So there you go. The tomato all bright, red and healthy for you just hanging from a tree waiting to be eaten and making people stronger. Here am I, liking it and not liking it, ,gagging at the thought of eating it.
I really mean it when I say I'm trying to like the tomato. I really am. The day I grow (pun intended) to love a tomato and eat it with no assistance from food, I will announce it to the world via Facebook status, Instagram or whatever new social media that is "in" that year.


No comments:

Post a Comment