Tuesday, April 7, 2015

bunny observance day

This Easter Sunday, instead of staying at school and trying to figure out what my weekly menu was going to be, I went to my humble abode in the East Bay where there was a full kitchen and a comfier bed.
Don't get me wrong, I loved creating recipes of all kinds from my Basic Kitchen, but knowing that I was so close to an oven and a stove and have so many possibilities on desserts I got excited.
I'm not the only college student with no kitchen that feels this way.....
With a kitchen and so many more recipe opportunities, I was overwhelmed with dessert ingredients.
SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. My brain was going crazy.
But then the search got narrower when I only had to look for fruit desserts as I have many uncles who are not a fan of chocolate.
That narrow search didn't help at all. I was still overwhelmed.
Until I found these and then the rain was gone and I could see clearly now.

Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Crust and Crumble Topping
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, melted
1 cup of flour
3/4 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of light brown sugar

Blueberry Layer
12 ounces of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of cornstarch


Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with baking spray.
For the crust/crumble topping, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add flour, oats, sugar and brown sugar and stir to combine. The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Set one cup of crumble mixture aside for the topping.
Transfer the rest of the crumble topping on the bottom of the pan and flatten will with fingers or a spatula. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, (I used the same bowl for the crumble to save cleaning time).
Add all the ingredients listed above. Mix well and then spread evenly over crumble mixture.
Spread the remaining crumble mixture over blueberry layer.

Bake for 55 minutes or until edges are set. I cooked it for 45 minutes and it was perfect, so it depends on the oven.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes and share with your family as you sit in a food coma after Easter lunch.
Or just eat and keep eating because these bars are pretty good.

Happy Bunny observance Day.
Happy Easter.
Happy Passover.



No comments:

Post a Comment