Wednesday, April 1, 2015

veggie foodlight

The point of this blog, as said many times, is to cook without a kitchen and be healthy while doing it.
So while doing this blog and posting up recipes that are healthy/ semi-healthy/ not really healthy, I began to wonder..what the hell does make food healthy? Like what makes veggies and fruits healthy and good for you? Why do we need to have 5 fruits and vegetables every single day as directed by my doctor and yours too. Does ANYONE have 5 fruits and veggies every day? Is that even possible?
Probably.
I mean I bet your mom or dad or grandma or parental guardian probably sat you down at the dinner table with a plate of vegetables in front of you and lectured you on how vegetables are healthy for you and waited until you put that little tree in your mouth and then spit it out in your napkin.
Was I the only child that did that?
Sorry Mom.

So to inform you of what you are eating and inform myself of what I am eating, Veggie spotlights will be popping up in this blog. Because after spending a week in gardens and being taught on how important it is to know where your food comes from and what's in it, I might as well pass the knowledge forward.

Veggie Spotlight #1
SPINACH
Famously associated with Popeye the Sailor Man , spinach is the green leafy vegetable that is sometimes dislike by kids (including myself). I first had it sautéed and mixed with almonds. The little green lump just sat on my plate along with my chicken and carrots. I ate the carrots and the chicken, but left the green lump on my plate. I was not Popeye the Sailor Man, I would not eat me spinach.
It took me a while to tolerate spinach on my dinner plate. I started with three bites, then four then five and then the whole thing year by year. The green lump always some how ended up on my plate.
It wasn't until this past year that my spinach tolerance grew. Instead of sitting at the dinner table for 45 minutes refusing to eat, it now takes me about 45 seconds to chow it down.
I love spinach just like Popeye the Sailor Man does. Except I don't have incredibly muscular arms with an anchor tattoo. Nope. My arms are still as weak as Liz Lemon's are.
I feel ya Liz, I feel ya. 
But other than magical growing arm muscles, there is a lot of good stuff in the green leafy vegetable.

Facts about Spinach:
-It is sold in grocery stores year round, but is in season March- June (so it's in season now).
-Spinach is rich in iron which is good as iron plays a role in the function of red blood cells which help transport oxygen in the blood, energy production, and DNA synthesis. (And I got C's in Science my whole life). 
-Spinach also holds Vitamin K (which is good for maintaining bone health), Vitamin A (which is good for your retinals or eyes as non-scientific people call them), Vitamin C (which is good for growth and development), Manganese (which is good for bone, skin and energy), Magnesium (good for healthy immune system, keeps heart beating steady and strong bones), and Vitamin B2 (good for metabolism)

That was a mouthful, but now you know. 
Now every time you eat Spinach you will think you are Popeye the Sailor Man and be proud of eating a green lump of leafy vegetable.

You're welcome.






Also I googled the information on Spinach, I'm not really that smart at science. Although I wish I was. 
Also I used BBC so it's legit.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/ingredient-focus-spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment