Sunday, April 12, 2015

flavored mush

Have you seen the movie Wild? The inspiring moving with Reese Witherspoon that almost had me in tears and whispering "Oh my god yes" during certain moments.
No? Then go and watch it and get inspired, it's beautiful.
Yes?
Then you will know what I am talking about.
During her adventure to the Pacific Coast Trail, Cheryl comes prepared with food of oats, dried fruit and other substances to fill her up but lacks the proper heating equipment to heat up the oats. So for 10 minutes throughout the movie (about a week for Cheryl), Cheryl is eating cold mush with fruit or just cold mush in general.
I related to her struggle. Cold mush isn't that appetizing nor is warm mush.
 Mush in general just isn't that appealing to the eye.
It's just a tannish lumpy texture that is healthy and filling and comes in all flavors. But let's be real, no matter how delicious one tries to make it, mush will not look appetizing.

Being a child, my mom would make me mush (oatmeal) during school mornings to get a healthy breakfast. I was very particular about my flavor of oatmeal mush and would only eat specific ones; brown sugar, cinnamon and banana. If those three flavors were not in my bowl, I would eat three bites and be done.
I was very very particular about my oatmeal mush.
To top it off, my relationship with mush was like a roller coaster. Some days I could eat it for days and never get tired of it and other days I would gag after one bite. The thought of the tan, lumpy mixture just set my throat into a close.
I have tried to get on the oatmeal grind since my college days and some days it has worked and some days it hasn't. During Christmas break, I had my "oats on the go" where I was a hipster with a mason jar filled with oatmeal, but after that I stopped eating oatmeal.
I wasn't kidding when I said that my relationship with the oatmeal mush was a like a roller coaster.
I did get back on the oatmeal grind this past Friday though.
The week before Easter, I was looking at my recipes that currently hang on my wall and saw that a energy bite recipe I could make (recipe to come). I had all the ingredients minus the oatmeal.
Unfortunately, I had used up all the oatmeal for my chokladbullar (chocolate balls) and didn't have any oatmeal in my room.
I looked at my bank account, saw that I actually had enough money (go me!) and biked over to Oliver's to buy oatmeal.
I'm not sure what it is with Oliver's lately but there are moments when I have had experiences with food there.
First it was being overwhelmed by granola in the bulk section of Oliver's and just staring at the multiple kinds of flavors of granola and being in awe of it for 10 minutes and this time it was with oatmeal.
My roller coaster relationship with oatmeal had gone way up and it was an experience.
There was the Quaker oatmeal, the one that I had grown up with my whole life, my nostalgia in a can, the guy with the pilgrim like hat and the great smile. The little man who said "hi" on my granola bars through elementary school. The Quaker man.
Then there was the Irish kind of oatmeal. I had never had Irish oatmeal and wanted to be adventurous and see what Irish oatmeal was all about. Did it have Guinness hidden in it? Was I going to feel like a character from Game of Thrones while eating this said Irish oatmeal?
And then there was Scottish oatmeal. Dear Jesus Christ Superstar. The hell is Scottish oatmeal? If I ate this oatmeal would I acquire a thick Scottish accent like my music teacher from elementary school? Would I fancy kilts instead of spring dresses?

I ended up buying the Scottish oatmeal because it was cheaper and smaller. The Irish oatmeal was expensive and the Quaker oatmeal (although cheaper) was too big for my pantry and it would take a full year to just finish half of the can.
But then of course, the moment I buy oatmeal, my mother has bought it as well and asks me if I want it because she will not use it.
So I know have a can of Scottish oatmeal and a bag of American rolled oats in my pantry. I'm so overwhelmed with this many oats in my pantry, I feel that the rest of this blog is going to consist of just oatmeal recipes (starting with this post) because of the amount of oats I have.
I'm totally exaggerating, but I do have a lot of oatmeal in my pantry.
And this past Friday I had it for breakfast.

"Snickerdoodle" Oatmeal
1 cup of oatmeal
1 1/3 cup of milk (or water)
1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon


Add all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Microwave for 3 minutes or until the oatmeal is cooked thoroughly (depending on your microwave). Top with cinnamon and/or sugar.
Pair it with some coffee or tea and snuggle with the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Don't mind my foot, just stare at Titus Andromeda and how fabulous he looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment