Monday, April 27, 2015

and then there was dessert

You can't have dinner without dessert, or at least that's how I see it.
It was Sunday (so yesterday) and I was working on this blog/applying for jobs/drinking Starbucks/procrastinating/listening to music, when I craved s'mores and a whole lot of it.
Yes I think about food when doing this blog, it happens and it's human nature.
The only problem was that I didn't have graham crackers nor almonds. I sat and contemplated on what I could use in substitute for graham crackers.
I didn't have any cookies which is unusual because usually I do.
I didn't want to use bread because I felt that it would take away from the crunch that you would get from a s'more and also soggy bread is kind of gross.
So when I ventured home and looked in my pantry, it clicked. Oatmeal. I still have a lot of it and hopefully will use it all by the end of the year.
Oatmeal it was. It isn't the same as a graham cracker crust but it's better than not having a s'more, or a s'more cake.

Chocolate S'mores Cake with Oatmeal Crust
2-3 tablespoons of oatmeal
3 1/2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup of flour
2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon of baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of chocolate chips (or chocolate bar chopped into chunks)
Marshmallow fluff or actual marshmallows

In a small bowl, take 1/2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and melt in microwave.  Set aside.
In another bowl, take 3 tablespoons of butter, melt a little and mix with oatmeal. Take oatmeal/butter mixture and place it on the bottom of the mug and press the mixture down.
In another bowl, mix egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa and stir until thick batter forms. Add in melted chocolate butter and stir. Fold in any chocolate chips you have left and give it one last mix. Place the batter on top of the oatmeal crust. Add the marshmallow fluff or marshmallows on top.
Microwave for 1 minute to 20 seconds or 2 minutes depending on your microwave. If batter is gooey, microwave in intervals of 15 until fully cooked.
Add more marshmallow if you like or add more chocolate chips.
Share via social media and brag to the world how delicious it is. Because it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment