Monday, March 2, 2015

the big one

The past few posts have been about toasts, salads, and desserts in a mug. Simple and easy. But not challenging for my microwave nor my basic kitchen.
I needed something big to show that toasts, salads, and desserts in mugs aren't the only thing that I can make in a microwave and aren't the things to live off of during the time you don't have a kitchen.
So I saw this recipe on FoodGawker:
I thought "I could tots do this, minus the cauliflower." I've had bad experiences with cauliflower, don't ask, I just have. So in substitute for cauliflower rice, I used white rice, to ease my stomach and my wallet.

But the question is, how does one cook rice without a stove?  Can one cook rice without a stove?
I asked these questions for days. When I screen shotted this, on the bike ride to the grocery store at the grocery store, at the check out line and when I was unpacking my groceries. The question haunted me. I spent $2.99 on a bag of white rice and I had no idea how to cook it. Ugh, what have I just done. 
For days, the bag of rice just sat in my pantry untouched. When I went to get granola, it sat there, its white color shining in my pantry. I put it behind my bags of flour and sugar...but still it haunted me. 
It wasn't until last Tuesday when I was in my room and too lazy to leave my room and eat dinner with my co-workers. I opened my pantry to get dried cranberries and pistachios and I saw it. The small rice bag just sitting there, uncooked. 
"Ugh okay fine! I'll do it! I'll cook it!" 
So then I googled how to cook rice in the microwave and made this meal below.

Rice bowl with avocado, chicken and black beans
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water
1/2 avocado
pre-cooked chicken, sliced
1/2 can of black beans

Place 1 cup of rice in a microwave safe bowl and add 2 cups of water to the rice. Microwave 12- 15 minutes or until rice soaks up the water. 
As the rice is cooking, take can of black beans and drain half the beans. Take one avocado and cut it in slices. Take out slices of pre-cooked chicken.
Once rice is done, mix it around well. Add in slices of avocado, beans and chicken and drizzle olive oil and a tad bit of soy sauce (if you prefer).
Turns out cooking rice isn't has hard as I thought it was. I still have some left and it doesn't haunt me as much before. 
I took a risk, I lived life on the fast lane. I lived life with no regrets. I cooked rice in the microwave.





No comments:

Post a Comment