Tuesday, February 24, 2015

i had a moment

Have you ever made something that awakened your senses so much, you just stopped everything and smelled it? Just forgetting where you are, what you are holding, just closing your eyes and smelling the aroma that is flying through your nasal. It's breathtaking and euphoric.
I had that moment while making these brownies. I have made brownies before from scratch and from the box. Mint brownies, caramel brownies, super chocolate brownies, blondie brownies, s'mores brownies, Oreo brownies etc.
But these brownies, these brownies are the most nose-awakening brownies I've ever made. Everyone should make these brownies. I mean EVERYONE. Those who love chocolate and hate chocolate. Everyone needs to experience the smell sensation or smell-sation, as I like to call it, of those brownies.

It started like this:
I was invited to my friend Kacey's house for an Oscar party and typical me, stated that I would bring dessert. Looking at my basic kitchen, I had a panic attack and questioned myself on why I said I would bring dessert. So many ideas and recipes flowed through my brain and I was so overwhelmed that I had to leave and get coffee. I couldn't handle it. Figuring out what people like, what they don't like, how much we are eating, whether it be too light or too heavy. It was a mess in my brain.
It wasn't until Saturday afternoon I was sitting outside in the sun watching a program looking through FoodGawker when I found a recipe for S'mores Brownies. Having made s'mores brownies before, as previously mentioned, I thought "okay this is tots easy, everyone who I know will be there likes s'mores. I got this". Announcing what I will make to my co-workers my friend/co-worker Olivia, then said that I could use her kitchen to make these and it was settled. I would make these brownies and that was the end of the mess in my brain.
I got off work at 11PM, ran back home, ate something because I hadn't eaten in 6 hours, power walk to Olivia's house and followed a fox on the way there. (Btdubs: the fox did not say anything)
My friend Olivia was not home as she was working on an event but left her screen door open for me. Walking to her house, I prayed that the cops would not drive by as I'm sneaking into her room with a bag in my hand. If they did, I had the explanation of how I don't have a kitchen and my friend let me use hers.
The cops didn't drive by and I didn't have to explain myself.
I settled into her kitchen, blasted some music and began baking.

S'mores Brownies
Brownie Mix:
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour

Graham Cracker Crust: (If you use a 9x13 pan which I did, double the recipe)
2 cups of graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Marshmallow Topping
Marshmallow fluff

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 or 9x13 pan with foil. Spray bottom and sides of the foil lightly with cooking spray.

Combine graham cracker crust ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until well combined.

Okay now stop right here....
Smell the graham cracker crust combination. Can you smell the cinnamon? The graham cracker? The brown sugar? Stop. Take a moment and just smell. It's invigorating isn't it?
I stopped and just smelled for about 5 minutes until I came back to reality and realized I was in someone else's kitchen.

Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared foil pan. Bake for 10 minutes.


Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwavable bowl and microwave until melted, in 20 second intervals. Mix well. Add brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla and mix well until smooth.
Carefully fold the flour into the chocolate mixture all at once. Fold it in slow so to not over mix. Stop mixing when you don't see white in the mixture.
Pour the brownie mix on top of the graham cracker crust and bake at 350 fro 42 minutes.
Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Add marshmallow fluff to brownie mix when warm so the marshmallow fluff can melt.

Bring to Oscar party, get lots of compliments and cry at the Oscars when Julie Andrews appears after Lady Gaga's performance, when the In Memoriam happens and it finally hits you that Robin Williams has passed and there will be no one like them and when Eddie Redmayne wins for Best Actor.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment