Thursday, February 12, 2015

awkward late night dinner

As a student having night classes, finding a time to eat is the most awkward thing ever. When class starts at 5 and ends at 9, the typical dinner time becomes un-typical. I never know whether to eat at 4 or eat at 9.
If I eat at 4 I will be reaching the mental age of grandmother-hood and as a 21 year old, I wasn't ready for that. If I ate at 9, then I would feel guilty because all the magazines and talk shows and my mother told me not to eat a full meal past 8 because it's not healthy.
WHAT DOES A COLLEGE STUDENT WITH TWO NIGHT CLASSES DO TO BE HEALTHY?
I'm sorry for the caps and the loud voice in your head, but this is a dilemma that I have faced since I started taking night classes my sophomore year of college.
Some nights I wouldn't eat anything before class but then would be starving throughout the whole time and feel lightheaded. Other times I would eat before but yet would work up an appetite by the time 9PM rolled around so I would be a hobbit and eat two dinners in one day.
It was a never ending battle with my stomach and my eating habits. Until I figured out a plan.
Eat a snack and have a coffee before my night class and then have another something small after. 1/2 of a meal before and 1/2 a meal after equals one full meal. (Thanks elementary school math for helping me decide my eating habits. I knew you would be helpful one day.)
I've done that habit and it has treated me well. Especially this past Wednesday.
Before my 5PM class, I bought a latte, sat down in my seat and waited for my professor to come in between games of Trivia Crack. Upon arriving, my professor, who resembles a British version of Dwight Schrute, bought the entire class coffee along with milk and sugar.
Hashtag best professor ever.
With a latte, a small coffee and a mason jar with water and blueberries. I was set to survive my 5-9PM class.
I did and I got out an hour early. Hashtag yes.
Excited to be let out early, but really I was hyped up on all the coffee that I had in 3 hours, I made this filling toast for dinner.

Avocado, Chicken and Pomegranate Toast
2 pieces of bread
1/2 of avocado
Small pieces of chicken
Pomegranate Seeds
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Place two pieces of toast together. Spread avocado on each side well. Place chicken slices on each toast. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on each toast to your liking. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette on each toast. Eat and try not to get pomegranate seeds on your chair or in between your computer keys.
(Note: I did not cook said chicken. That will be done in another post in the future. I bought the sliced chicken already cooked to save money and time. But one day I will cook a chicken using a microwave as I heard it can be done. One day)

No comments:

Post a Comment