Sunday, May 10, 2015

Leslie Knope's power food

As an avid watcher of Parks and Recreation, and still in denial that it is over, I have come to realize that I am a version of Leslie Knope but with brown hair and a lot more broke.

Reasons Why I'm Leslie Knope
I love to organize and color coat everything and anything, just ask the people around me.
There are many nights where I live off of four hours of sleep.
I have been drunk enough to mumble "Glenn Close" to my friends.
I have sang "Everybody pants now!" multiple times, sober and not sober.
I love waffles.

The last one is the biggest one. Those close to me know my love of waffles and know that I own a waffle maker and use it on the daily.
I love waffles. I order them when I can at brunch in any flavor with anything inside and lots of whipped cream when I can.
But I usually take them with chocolate chips and cinnamon on the regular.
Waffles are the reason why I am friends with some of the people today.
Take, for instance, my friend Brandon the Taco Bell lover as noted in this blog.
After a year of being out of the country and returning back to my old job, we were standing in a circle doing an awkward "Get to know you" game when, in the middle of it, he turns to me and asked
"So...when are you making me waffles?"

And our friendship began and me and the waffles became stronger as friends.
I think waffles have been more in my life than any other boy ever.. which is sad but at the same time kind of great because feel most like Leslie Knope when I'm with waffles.
I have tried multiple waffle recipes to get the right one and yet I haven't. I have tried from the box, from scratch, with eggs, with no eggs, with not flavoring etc. They have turned out edible and good but nothing amazing as of yet. My goal in life before I die is to make the perfect waffles.
Crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside, like a warm chocolate chip cookie.
No waffle has compared to the consistency of a warm chocolate chip cookie, but one day it will.
In the meantime, here is a recipe to make waffles and multiple pictures of waffles that I have taken throughout the year.
Enjoy with a tub of whipped cream.

Waffle Recipe
2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of buttermilk
6 tablespoons of butter
2 large eggs

Preheat waffle iron/maker.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter and eggs. Add in flour mixture until batter is just combined.
Brush vegetable oil on waffle maker. Pour batter into waffle maker and wait for about 3-5 minutes until waffles are golden and cooked through.
Eat them with whipped cream, fruit sugar glaze as my friend Brandon likes it, with chocolate chips, maple syrup, whatever floats your waffle boat.


From the brunch place "The Naked Pig-The bacon waffle"

No comments:

Post a Comment