Sunday, April 19, 2015

green little nut

Put aside all the inappropriate thoughts that might come up by this post title and let's focus on the pistachio.
The majority of my blog posts have had pistachios in them, pistachios with dried cranberries, pistachios with avocado, pistachios with bananas, pistachios with toast, pistachios, pistachios, pistachios.
I have always loved pistachios. The cracking and finding the little green treasure in the nut and getting my nails dirty and my fingers dry from cracking them. I loved the challenge of getting a pistachios with the shell shut tightly and using my teeth to get it open. I did anything to get that little green nut.
And I still do. Sacrificing my nails and finger skin, I still de-shell the pistachios until I have entirely un-shelled pistachio nuts. My thumb gets dry, my fingernails get scratched and my thumb hurts.
I could literally sit and eat an entire box of pistachios in one sitting, but I don't because I know if I do I will fall into a state of sadness that all the pistachios are gone and there aren't any left for me the next couple of days.  It takes a lot of self control to eat pistachios.
And there's a reason, for it. They are damn good for you.

Facts about Pistachios
- Pistachios are a rich source of energy and have good amounts of fatty acids like oleic acid and antioxidants.
-Eating pistachios regularly, may lower bad LDL (Low Density lipoprotein- they cause risk for cardiovascular disease)
-Pistachios also have an excellent source of Vitamin E (protects body tissue from damaging).
-They store minerals such as iron, copper, manganese, potassium (K?) , calcium, magnesium zinc and selenium (help protect cells from damage).

So basically what the science terms are saying is that pistachios are good for you and you should eat them. They are delicious. If that doesn't convince you, then this cat video might.


Eat the green little nut, it's good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment