Saturday, March 28, 2015

are you bready for this?

The past few weeks when I have been grocery shopping and filling my pantry and fridge with food making me happy each week, I tend to forget the food that I had bought earlier. I also think I will use them in the future but then they end up hiding in the back of my fridge or pantry.
That is what happened to my baguette.
I had bought the baguette for my recipe of toasted bread with avocado and tomatoes in which I had twice in one day. I had thought I would eat this recipe every day but then my avocados went bad and I had to throw them out and then I forgot with school, work, a performance and a trip to plan. I even forgot I had tomatoes with me and my baguette just sat in the back of my pantry.
Until two nights ago when I craved bread pudding. I'm not sure why. I never eat bread pudding and have only had it twice in my life. Bread pudding wasn't a thing in my family, it wasn't a staple dessert in our family get togethers nor was it ever really mentioned.
So the fact that I craved it on a Thursday night struck me as odd, but then again, I was in a really good mood that Thursday.
My senior seminar class got out an hour early and canceled for next week, which means my Thursdays won't be as crammed as usual and my night class got out an hour and a half early instead of the full 5-8:40PM. Also I had a substitute teacher in my class, which is a first in my college career.
Have you ever had a substitute teacher in college? I have and it was a weird experience.
Not as weird as this bread pudding though. This was a magical experience.
I got to utilize my stale bread into good use instead of wasting food and throwing it away.

Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding in a Mug
1 cup of stale bread torn into pieces
1 egg
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1-2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of chocolate chips
Dash of cinnamon

Tear up pieces of stale bread. If bread is too stale, like mine, microwave it for about 15-30 seconds to get it to soften a little.
In a small bowl mix in egg, sugar, milk and butter and mix well. Pour mixture over bread and stir well making sure bread pieces are coated with the mixture.
Microwave for two minutes, eat and be happy that it's Thursday and there is no class on Friday, and I can sleep in.



No comments:

Post a Comment