Saturday, February 7, 2015

shopping spree

Part of my senior seminar project is to cook without kitchen but there's more to than than just the challenge. The extra challenge is to find healthy ways to cook without a kitchen and be on a budget. My transportation is a bike and the closest grocery store is Olive'r's which is similar to Whole Food which is a bit high on a college student's budget which is the challenge.
There is a Safeway in my college town but the only way to get there is through streets or through a trail that has just be notified as dangerous. So Oliver's is my only hope. With delicious sandwiches and good looking burrito makers, the extra dollar on food is worth it, or so I tell myself.
The 6 months without a kitchen I have gone to Oliver's multiple times and have spent less $50 each time buying mini-groceries and treats and I plan to keep it that way for this project. So far, since I have started this blog project, I have gone grocery shopping twice there and have spent under $35. Let's hope that it stays that way for the remainder of the semester or my bank account and I will not be happy.
So today after a shopping day with my friend Elizabeth I biked over to Oliver's with a grocery list and a budget, like a grownup.

My list:
Lactose Free Milk  
Granola
Bananas
Spinach
Oranges
Apples
Avocados
Grapefruit
Lemons
Cherry Tomatoes

Budget: $35
What I spent: $31.28

Cha-Ching.
A multidude of recipes will be coming soon with these ingredients I promise. But for now, I made this granola treat out of the shopping spree that I did.
Bananas, Chocolate Chips, Dried Cranberries, Granola & Honey

Also, have you ever been overwhelmed by granola? Just the sight of 10 different kinds of granola in front of you all sounding delicious. Strawberry granola, Raspberry Vanilla Granola, Almond Vanilla Granola, Pumpkin Spice Granola (the basic bitches of all granola), the granola is endless. I stood there with my basket full of produce just staring at the plethora of granola wondering, which one I should get. Which one would go best with fruit? or yogurt? or honey? or even Nutella (scratch that, everything goes well with Nutella). I stuck with Almond, Vanilla Granola and went simple. Maybe next time I'll get the Pumpkin Spice Granola, despite it not be fall and I'll make sure to wear by long brown boots to go with the theme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment